The Demonstration School, Mysuru is a constituent unit of the Regional Institute of Education, Mysuru. This is one of such four schools, in the country, the other three being at Ajmer(Rajasthan), Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh) and Bhubaneshwar (Odisha) as components of respective Regional Institute of Education. The National Council of Educational Research and Training, an autonomous body under the Ministry of Human Resources and Development, Government of India, runs Regional Institute of Education.
Having come into existence in the year 1965 the Demonstration School has served the public for more than 4 decades keeping before it the following objectives:
1. Imparting quality education by employing latest techniques.
2. To serve as a laboratory of Regional Institute of Education, Mysuru for the identification and analysis of research in major areas of School Education and to enable prospective teachers to observe, learn and practice teaching through participation in Internship Programme.
3. To serve as a center of studies in Curriculum Development.
To achieve the above mentioned objectives, the school has acquired the following distinctive features:-
1. A comprehensive programme of education from LKG to class XII under the 2+10+2 pattern as envisaged by NCERT.
2. It is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE, New Delhi).
3. It is co-educational and lays stress on harmonious human relationship and high moral standard through an active and compulsory participation in co-curricular activies.
4. The medium of instruction in the school is English.
5. The Three Language Formula is followed.
6. The class strength is limited to 35 students per section.
7. The school has well equipped laboratories and a library with a good collection of books, newspapers and children's Magazines.
8. Work Experience (Wood work, Arts & Crafts) and Art education (Music, Drawing and Painting, Drama & Yoga) form an integral part of school programme.
9. The school is located on a picturesque 120 acre sprawling campus with plenty of sports grounds.
10. The school also has NCC wing for boys and girls separately and NCC is compulsory for the students of classes 8th and 9th.
11. The school has modern and well-equipped laboratories and the school provides basis computer awareness and literacy programme for the students of classes I to XII.